Sunday, June 7, 2009

Uncharted Waters

It's becoming a blog-fest around here.... we haven't posted since February, and now twice in one week! What's the world coming to?

We went to Odessa yesterday to visit my brothers and their families... but more specifically we went for my nephew Hagan's birthday party. We had a great time at the party, and then went to dinner afterward before we came home.

Aunt Erin asked us to stop by her house after dinner so she could give us some clothes for Jarrett, and while we were there, she asked JJ if he would like to stay at their house for a couple of days and play with his cousins. Without hesitation, he said, "Sure!" We thought he would change his mind in a few minutes (as "almost-5-year-olds" usually tend to do,) but he was very confident that it was something that he wanted. It didn't matter how many times we asked him if he was sure... he knew he wanted to stay there!

This brought back memories of when I used to do this with my cousin in Lubbock when I was growing up in Odessa. It happened much the same way the first time... our families met in Lamesa for dinner and very unexpectedly they asked if I wanted to spend a week with my cousin Jim. I had the clothes I was wearing, and that was it... much like Jefferson last night: He had his PJ's that we were going to change him into for the late night ride home, and the clothes on his back. He should be ok since his cousins are not that much older than him... he could probably share clothes with them. What a fun experience!

Beth asked if I was ready for this... I asked her right back if she was ready for this. Turns out, we should have asked Jarrett if HE was ready! He has never known life without JJ! He has been fairly melancholy this morning, continually asking about where his brother is, and being generally sad about his brother's absence! It's pretty sweet, but at the same time, kinda heart-wrenching. As I write this, he's asking for "JJ to play football with me!"

I imagine JJ is having a blast right now... it will be cool when Jarrett can do this, too.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

How fun! I'm so proud of JJ staying all by himself. What a priceless time with cousins.